It's hard to believe that another year is over and the HMBA is turning 1 year old. With the new biking season is just around the corner again plans are already in the works for another great year of riding and co-operation between our club and the Village of Hillsborough.
Last year started off well with a couple successful trail days followed by a great summer of riding, unfortunately the fall weather did not co-operate as well as we hoped and another trail day wasn't planned although the late fall and early winter riding turned out to be pretty good before the first large snow storm.
There has been a bunch of questions we've been ask and have found answers for to so we will share them with everyone:
- The damage to the single track trail system cause by the first large storm was actually minimal considering the amount of rain we received. There were a couple bridges washed out, a few larger trees blown over, a lot of smaller branches/ trees(most of which were cleaned up) and many new exposed roots. The double tracks and roads took more damage consisting mainly of wash outs and a section of the railroad bed washed out.
- There was also more trees blow down in the last wind storm, we haven't been over all the trails since the storm but the walking I have done I've noticed some very large trees blown down . I've been working with a local bike shop to get a builders backpack (http://www.dakine.com/sport-packs/bike/builders-pack/) to make it easier to carry the power saw in the trails to clean these up.
- Unfortunately it looks like any trail days in the spring will be more clean up days and to repair storm damage, not doing the improvements that we had hope to some of the trails that have fallen into states of disrepair.
- The trail signage is in the process of being done, both the village and Fitworks have said they would help provide signs. The local ATV club has also supplied me with signs to put up on the multi use trials that they are permitted to use.
- The person the village hired to do the map of the WRRA is not going to do it, in turn the HMBA is now going to look after getting the map done of the trails. The village will help with the project and we have someone already lined up who can put the map together after we supply the gps tracks of the trails. The plan is to walk the trails over the winter so we can have a map ASAP, more details to follow.
- The HMBA has submitted an IMBA trail crew visit application to have the trail crew come this summer to put on a trail building workshop. This visit will help us both with our planning of our trail system and proper building techniques.